Wednesday 2 July 2014

DAY 1: We, the Americans...

01.07.2014
American in Rome.
Ara Pacis Museum by Richard Meier. Photo:MM

Today is my first day in Rome. My initial aim is to see what the Romans do in their everyday life so I don’t do anything they would find strange. First impressions are good, Rome is a good cultural fusion mainly between Romans and Americans. At first sight, they don’t do anything unusual for someone who came from London, apart from the cycling habits - they speak on a mobile phone while cycling and they don’t seem to bother with safety equipment such as helmets and lycra outfits. My London influenced preconception of Romans was that they usually gather in large groups in front of PRIMARK or the British Museum. They are in fact almost invisible in their own city.
The main language spoken in Rome is American. I witnessed a strange situation just as I arrived to central Rome from Fiumicino Airport. I was about to buy a bottle of water at the kiosk when a short, blond woman jumped in front of me.
-Do you sell stamps for the United States?-, she asked the vendor with a pure Louisiana accent.
-Yes-, he replied.
-Oh, I’m sorry I don’t speak Italian.
-Yes, how many would you like?- asked the vendor in perfectly understandable English while waving with the stamps.
-Oh, I’m so sorry I don’t speak Italian. Can I have six please? One, two, three, four, five, six.
-Twelve euros- vendor says in English.
-How much? I’m so sorry I don’t speak Italian – she is handing him a five euro note.
-And seven more – vendor patiently says in English. She is handing him another 5 euros while apologising for not understanding.
-This is my first time in Italy and I am very excited. Both of my parents are Italian, from Sicily. Oh my gosh.
-Si, Si, Sicilia… Two more, two more euro!
-I’m sorry I’m so confused. You know, we, the Americans really appreciate Italy, it’s so beautiful- she hands him a fifty euro note.
-No, No. Do you have two euro? Uno, due…
-You know what, I’ll give you twenty.
The vendor takes the note.
-I just found out today they don’t do bullfighting in the Colosseum any more. That sucks!
The vendor gives her the change.
-Oh my gosh. First time in Italy. Siciliana…
As she was walking away I was begging to realise how much I really enjoyed this.
Not enough to change my research topic.
Benvenuti a Roma!

1 comment: